Wednesday 13 July 2011

Half Way of My Intern & Dive. Expo.

Time flies, I am now on the half way of my internship. In the past 6 weeks, I see improvement myself progressively. But I also see my shortcomings.

I am now getting more comfortable on the boat. I got my first discovery of sighting of Chinese White Dolphin. However, I and Nekky made a big mistake when filling the survey effort data sheet. I still didn't do well enough to coordinate smoothly with my teammates (Sometimes in boat survey, I thought myself was acting as an individual, instead of acting as a team player.). And I didn't realize the importance of reading relevant readings, wasting valuable time in office.
Luckily, I am still on the half way, I still get time to improve, to turn my internship an invaluable experience.


Due to the intern and the lovely Chinese White Dolphin, I decided to buy the first DSLR in my life, D90 finally. And this is my favorite Chinese White Dolphin photo taken by myself with D90. The nurture of baby show the greatest love.
By the way, I have to thank Perry for borrowing me his 70-300mm lens so that I could take this photo.






Last Sunday, the Diving Resort & Travel Expo was over. The Expo provided me firsthand experience in promoting conservation issue to the general public. I gave the information about biology of dolphins and their conservation issue directly to the visitors. This really helped me to improve my communication skill and confidence in talking to others. However, I found myself not confident enough to talk with foreign and mainland people. I was not active enough to talk to those visitors. Sadly, I really missed a great chance in practicing my spoken English and Putonghua!

It also gave me a chance to see different responses from the general public on the conservation issue especially for those related to economic development such as 3rd runway. Some people against it, a little support it and the majority of people seek for a balance between conservation and economic development. The balance between environmental protection and economic development is always a difficult question.

Moreover, it's happy to receive support from the general public. This let's know that the public understand what we are doing now and what's our purpose. No matter just a sentehnce of word, support form public is always an encouragement for those who work hard on environmental protection and conservation.

Thanks to the organization for giving us a big area to promote dolphin conservation.










No comments:

Post a Comment