Wednesday 13 July 2011

intern exp ii =]

The third week of internship I have to read data about overview of finless porpoise and humpback dolphin, abundance estimated in HK waters, photo identification work and the survey procedure. Photo identification (photo ID) is one of the methods to monitor dolphins in a detail way and a safety way. Photo ID is to identify the characteristics of the shape dorsal fin and the dots on dorsal part. That can make me rich in knowledge of the field works.

Moreover, the locations of boat observation of Chinese white dolphin are North West Lantau and north east Lantau. I started to participate in being a data recorder and primary observer. I adapt to record the events faster than before and hence I feel more confident to handle the works.




resource: HKDCS    

The fourth week of internship I have to read data about abundance estimated in HK waters and the educational humpback dolphin PowerPoint. The PowerPoint is used for the education talk in school providing the updated information and knowledge to conserve Chinese white dolphins by public. This PowerPoint also inspires me about the presentation of the internship in CIE and the topic is about the concerning of the public.
        Moreover, the boat observation of Chinese white dolphin in West Lantau make me learn a lot. The west lantau is a hot spot of appearance of CWD. On that day, I started to record and be primary observer. But there are few group of the CWDs appeared at the same time. I cannot record the data immediately and accurately as that situation is the first time which I never meet. After that, I also miss the discovery of CWD because I find I cannot look accurately at the sea water when it is over 400m with binoculars. I cannot distinguish between CWD and waves when it just appear 1or 2 seconds. I also find that I am lack of confident to command to stop the boat when I cannot see it clearly. To sum up, I treasure this experience very much as it reveals me I am still not enough and need to work harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment