Tuesday 27 August 2013

The End

It finally comes to the end of my internship programme. Last week was so fruitful that I did some special sightings during both theodolite tracking and line-transact survey.

I was lucky to be given a chance to do my last theodolite survey in Fan Lau, which was the most amazing one that I had even done. I could even see a group of six to seven dolphins surfacing in inshore area, which was the first time that I see such large number of dolphins surfacing together. It was really exciting!  



Also, dolphins kept surfacing actively in the first two hours of the survey. Different groups merged and spited out continuously. It was a bit hard to identify which group the dolphins belong to as there were too many dolphins at the sea. 

For my last line-transact survey, it was a little pity that I had never been on effort to do line-transact survey throughout the internship programme. However, I still had an off-effort sighting during my last survey.

A special guest in this picture..guest who!
I observed a dark calf surfacing around 20 meters away from the boat and I yelled immediately after the surfacing. After we stopped the boat for further observation, the group was found to consist of a mother-and-calf pair and another dolphin. Through photo identification, the calf was found to be a famous calf, Hei Hei (希希). Its true story was written in a book called Man Vs Dolphin (豚在野希希大冒險). I was glad that I did a nice job during my last line-transact survey.


There is an end to everything, to good things as well. I feel difficult to say how much I have learnt and experienced in the past nine weeks. I have enjoyed my time here and it has been my pleasure working with the amazing staff here and the enchanting animals at sea. I will remember the time we worked together and the moments that I was excited by the fascination of dolphins.

Good Bye!!

Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment