Sunday 28 October 2012

Jane's Internship 2012

As my four-month summer holiday in Hong Kong began to draw to a close, so did my research internship at HKDCS.

The past two months had certainly been the highlight of this summer, not to mention being the most memorable and inspiring internship that I have yet attended over the past few years. At HKDCS no two days are the same. We can never know what we will see on a particular trip, be it one calmly surfacing porpoise or a large pod of socializing dolphins; and be it our first or last day, seeing these mammals can never fail to enthuse us. For me, what makes HKDCS so different from the many other organizations at which I have previously worked is this expectation for the unpredictability that made my every single day at HKDCS so unforgettable.

There were so many memorable experiences that I could not possibly name them all, ranging from the petitions outside Ocean Park and the Japanese Consulate Council, to the once-in-a-lifetime hike up Lung Kwu Chau, and to the discovery of a porpoise carcass on my penultimate day of work. Never had I seen a live porpoise in its entire form during the two months, and to see a carcass of this species was truly one overwhelming experience for me. It made me realise for the first time how real and close these animals are to us humans, and how vulnerable they are to the dangers that the human presence poses for them.

HKDCS is a truly wonderful organization, with amazing people working together towards a beautiful goal of protecting our lovable Chinese white dolphins and finless porpoises in the seas. I am missing everyone and the dolphins here in England, and will definitely be back soon for a visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment