Monday 1 October 2012

James's Summer Internship

Hello everyone!

I was a summer intern at HKDCS from mid-July to mid-September and am now writing this from Southampton in the UK just after term has started. Since I've finished my internship, I couldn't stop thinking about all the dolphins and porpoises that I've seen over the summer. While time flies when you're conducting surveys, this internship has made this one of my most fulfilling summers to date, allowing me to contribute to some valuable research being done on the Indo-Pacific Humpback Dolphin and the Finless Porpoise.

There were some challenging times during those two months. We had to get up early for land-based surveys, getting exposed under the searing heat of the sun on most days, fighting seasickness on a regular basis during boat surveys etc. Though this may put some people off, the minute you see a group of dolphins always puts a smile on my face, and I forget about the harsh conditions that I was working in.

I can't really pick out any highlights during my internship, because I have so many wonderful memories of active dolphins giving us a magnificent show during surveys, much better than any 'show' from captive dolphins. One particular highlight, though, was seeing a newborn calf during one of our land-based observations. It was possibly the cutest thing that I have ever seen.

Anyway, for anyone looking for a challenge, and hoping to contribute to the survival of these magnificent dolphins, an internship with the Hong Kong Dolphin Conservation Society is definitely worth it. All the staff are very friendly and will help you with any problems, and you gain valuable insight in how marine mammal research is conducted and get to take part in it. Also, it sounds cool when you tell all your friends that you've been doing dolphin research over the summer.

To anyone whose thinking about becoming an intern at HKDCS, stop thinking and start applying!

No comments:

Post a Comment