Friday 13 September 2013

Farewell Hong Kong!


             I’m currently sitting here writing this last blog post at the airport, waiting for my flight home to Canada. My time here in Hong Kong with the Dolphin Conservation Society was incredible. I can’t even begin to describe how much I learned about cetacean research and even the Hong Kong culture. The staff at HKDCS was so welcoming and kind. Because of their hospitality I felt very comfortable and at home here in Hong Kong.
            My last few weeks of work were amazing. We had some really great sightings where the dolphins were very active, socializing and breaching right in front of us. We also conducted a couple porpoise surveys, and even though we didn’t get many sightings the scenery is always so beautiful in those regions of Hong Kong. Finally a few of our theodolite-tracking sessions from the airport were quite successful due to some rare dolphin sightings within the airport exclusion zone.
            All in all I learned so many different research techniques and protocols, which I never would have known had I not completed this internship. I got the opportunity to help conserve an amazing species within a rapidly developing city. I had the experience of learning a new culture and trying new things, which I never would have been exposed to otherwise! This experience taught me so much about cetaceans, about cultures, and about myself as well! I would recommend interning at the HKDCS to anyone who is interested in environmental issues. It will be the experience of a lifetime!

            Many thanks to everyone I met this summer. You all will be sorely missed!
Signing off,
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment