Thursday 11 July 2013

Hi everyone! I am Leslie, the currently newest intern here and I am studying Environmental Conservation Studies in Baptist University CIE. Having joined HKDCS for more than two weeks, I have learnt and experienced a lot.  

In the past two weeks, I have learnt the methodology of different kinds of surveys via reading and my first-hand experiences of conducting surveys. In fact, the books in relation to methodology are somewhat hard for me, a beginner, to comprehend. After several times of doing research, I have sparked some questions in my mind and I am eager to find out the answers on my own through reading. This is why Samuel and Vincent encourage me a lot to read. By reading, I can build up a boarder sense and a better understanding of the biology of dolphins.
   
However, what comes as the most important thing that I have learnt is not about technical skills and knowledge. It is “learning how to learn”, which does not only benefit my internship programme, but also my academy and many different areas in my future. Being an intern, I shadow the survey team very often. Being observant and sensitive is very important. Also, asking questions is the key to learning. As here are many experienced and professional researchers who are welcome to teach me and I am sure that I can learn a lot from them.


That’s all for now. Many interesting things are to be explored and I will share them with you soon. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment