Monday 21 June 2010

Land-based observations last week and Po Toi today

We spent most of last week in the office, except on Thursday and Saturday when Higher and I observed dolphins in Tai O. There were lots of vessels on the sea on both days (12 vessels at one point on Thursday!). For most of our sightings, the dolphins appeared once (briefly) and were not seen again. We wondered whether they were avoiding the large number of vessels. I believe we have become more confident in recording data, although the beaufort can be confusing at times. But with patience and thorough observations, we always managed to come up with a mutual agreement on the beaufort in the end.

We went to Po Toi today, our first survey in two weeks. It was nice to be on the sea again. It was wavy for most of the time but I still managed to complete my work with full concentration. I think I have become used to being on the sea now. I also remembered to put zero under 'trip' when I began effort today (instead of copying what is shown on the GPS, as I have done in the past). On the other hand, there are still small things that I keep forgetting. For example, I do not have to record 'speed', 'beaufort' and 'trip' when we end search effort. There is always room for improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment